Quote about South African cricketers...

Tenacious B
I Fought The Gay & The Gay Won

Quote about South African cricketers...

Post by Tenacious B » February 21, 2007, 3:59 pm

from this article on cricinfo, a pretty interesting quote.
Among Australians, it is received wisdom that the South African sporting psyche suffers from some deep insecurity, which shrivels their self-belief just when they need it most. Out here, I've been reading Adult Book by Malcolm Knox, the only novel to be chosen as Wisden's book of the year. It is partly set in the middle of a Test at the SCG. South Africa are the visitors and the author takes us inside the head of an Australian batsman, Chris Brand. Crusty, foul-mouthed, compulsively adulterous and playing to save his career, he is possibly the most believable cricketer in fiction. And he has strong views about the South Africans.

"The Yaapies jump around. Busy, punky, athletic. They think they're like us," Chris muses, "but they're not, they're f---ing not at all. Something in their history makes them tough but insecure, hard on the surface but soft-centred. They fight and fight and never give up, but when you've beaten them, there's something in them that accepts it. As if deep down they're too guilty to take the last step." This may be the first recorded case of a national team being sledged by a literary novelist.
thoughts?

tetrahc
Penis Fancier

Post by tetrahc » February 21, 2007, 4:31 pm

unfortunately, I'm inclined to think that his assessment isn't far from accurate. Our performances over the past 10 years, particularly at the 1999 world cup certainly seem to support his opinion.

However, I think our current squad is probably the best we've had since 1992 and I'm quite confident that we can win this world cup...

also:
lol! fucking dumb ausie can't spell japies!
You're traveling through another dimension,
a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon » February 21, 2007, 4:57 pm

When I read this article it started me thinking. I thought of many things.

I thought of our exits from the World Cup:
1992 and that awful rain rule ... 22 off 1 (should have read 21 off 1)
1995 and Brian Lara's brilliance
1999 and that Edgbaston tie
2003 and that miscalculation

South Africans may have a reason to feel aggrieved. Partly their own fault, partly out of their control. Plus there is that whole apartheid regime, and lingering guilt. Then there was the time before that when the English put the Afrikaners in concentration camps and fucked their women to "win" a war. SA has seen so much strife, it is hardly surprising that we're a little scarred.

I also thought of the current team.
They're gritty, determined, tough and match-winners. This isn't the best team since 1992. 1999 was a brilliant team, easily the best in the tournament; and the world. But it is a good team, and a solid team. I also think they're a more ruthless team, which is what was missing from prior editions.

I then thought of little bunnies. And Matt in a speedo. I was violently ill, and strangely aroused.
They float. They always flooaaatttt ....

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope » February 22, 2007, 9:59 am

I disagree that 1999 was better than the current team. We only made it as far as we did in 1999's torunament because of Lance Klusner. Who apart from his batting heroics which saved us against almost everyone, also took the current South African best bowling figures for a world cup (17 wickets at 20) runs per wicket. SA at 168/7 against england, klusner comes on and scores 48 off about 40 balls, and the loss to zimbabwe, where not even klusner's 50 odd could fix a 30 something for 5 start to the chase, both stand out for me. Sure Pollock was magnificent that year and there was nothing wrong with our bowling attack in general, we just couldn't bat. As an extra; I remember us being dodgy in the super 6's against Pakistan as well...at one stage i think we were 130/6. That team is not better than this one.
"Boxers don't have sex before a fight, do you know why that is? They don't fancy each other."
- Jimmy Carr

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 10:40 am

But that was the team that went into the WC with something ridiculous like a 75% win rate in ODI's.

I would say that the side was better than this one simply because it had Darryl Cullinan in the middle order.

I DARE YOU TO DISAGREE!

I think I may do a quick head to head....
'His most famous blunder was when he corrected student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" as "potatoe" at an elementary school spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey, on June 15, 1992.[9]' - Wikipedia on Dan Quayle

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope » February 22, 2007, 10:48 am

Ask the all black rugby team what the previous year's successes mean when you crash out of a worldcup.

Stats can only give you so much, but for what they are the stats at the 1999 world cup speak for themselves. BMT and mental strength are just as important as the record over the past year, and that 1999 team, apart from Klusner, lacked it. The 2003 team had even less.

At least this team seems to show some spirit. While it has been commented on repeatedly, that 438 chase showed huge BMT and I hope we can translate that into success in the world cup. With players peaking at the right time and that kind of emotional strength I expect this team has a lot more going for it than just the one star player of 1999. (and no i don't mean Darryl Cullinen :worried: )
"Boxers don't have sex before a fight, do you know why that is? They don't fancy each other."
- Jimmy Carr

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope » February 22, 2007, 10:55 am

If it helps I just discovered Shaun Pollock agrees with me:

"Pollock, who will be appearing in his fourth and final World Cup, said the current team was the strongest he had played in. "I believe there is something special about this one. And it will be extra special for me because it will be my last one."" - cricketworldcuplatest.com

http://www.cricketworldcuplatest.com/ne ... 11156.html
- Jimmy Carr

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 11:31 am

Oh, I agree entirely - my (not so quick) head to head seems to point the other way though....
'His most famous blunder was when he corrected student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" as "potatoe" at an elementary school spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey, on June 15, 1992.[9]' - Wikipedia on Dan Quayle

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 11:41 am

Mmm, looking at the finished product it may be a load of balls... but that's fine as I did it because I don't feel like working..
Attachments
WCHeadtoHead.xls
(20 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope » February 22, 2007, 11:50 am

Nice comparison. I would have given it to gary kirsten as well. Though i do disagree about Steve Elworthy over Charl Langeveldt. If you just shuffle things a bit. Andre Nel would definitely beat Steve Elworthy and Charl over dale is also a no brainer. As it stands though on head to head it's pretty close. A big difference is that this 2007 team is peaking in performance now whereas that 1999 team was on the way down.
- Jimmy Carr

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon » February 22, 2007, 12:04 pm

Agreed with the h-t-h. I wasn't trying to diss the current team. i think they are a great bunch of fighters. I also think this is our best chance of the WC since '99. The 99 team was rediculously strong in the world. On merit alone, they wallop any other side of the time. The performance during the WC was poor. We won a lot, but largely due to the extraordinary showing by one L Klusener. I remember being terribly dissapointed with the side's showing during the tournament.

The current team may have a better chance in the WC. The team itself is not the best in the world. That number 1 ranking was gained by guile. What the team IS, is the strongest unit we can field, a real challenge for the number 1 side, and the toughest bunch of motherfuckers in the world. They are more determined than 99, they are more ruthless, and they are much more settled. Oh, and they don't have a cheating captain. yet.

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 12:09 pm

Yeah, I think that's the key point. However we could be saying the same thing at the end of the WC

Edit : This was a resonse to Warren

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 12:22 pm

Rebel Pope wrote: Though i do disagree about Steve Elworthy over Charl Langeveldt. If you just shuffle things a bit. Andre Nel would definitely beat Steve Elworthy and Charl over dale
I did that originally but both Steve and Charl were picked specifically for their swing bowling at the death so I changed my mind and compared them. But then again Steve also opened the bowling so....

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon » February 22, 2007, 12:49 pm

Also,

The 2007 squad is a better fielding unit than 99. Although, missing Jonty is a big hole to fill, AB is electic, Ashwell is Matt, Gibbs as always is superb.

The dedication to saving every run that can be saved is unparalleled anywhere in the world.

I still say the 99 squad was a brilliant team. But I hold more hope for 2007 taking the cup.

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 1:04 pm

I really wish we could hit the stumps though - it was a big weakness of Jonty's as well.

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon » February 22, 2007, 1:11 pm

When Jonty missed with the ball, he hit with the body.

Tenacious B
I Fought The Gay & The Gay Won

Post by Tenacious B » February 22, 2007, 2:40 pm

Paelleon wrote:Ashwell is Matt
i've always wanted to be used as a superlative! glad you guys finally recognise my awesome cricket skills.

Ceek
Anal Investigator

Post by Ceek » February 22, 2007, 2:42 pm

I think there should be more homosexuals in the side. Just having boucher and AB us not enough.
During the last six decades, Cliff Richard has charted many hit singles, and holds the record (along with Elvis Presley) as the only act to make the UK singles charts in all of its active decades (1950s–2000s). According to his website, he has sold 250 million records over the course of his career.

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch » February 22, 2007, 3:05 pm

When Jonty missed with the ball, he hit with the body.
He tried that again in WC 1999 and all but lost a rib.

Anyway, just to prove I REALLY don't want to work, here is a comparison of the WC 1999 team's career averages LEADING UP to WC 1999 (i.e up to 1999-05-14). Obviously it doesn't take into account S/R and RRO. Quite interesting I think...
Attachments
WCHeadtoHead2.xls
(29 KiB) Downloaded 197 times