Bosman

tetrahc
Penis Fancier

Bosman

Post by tetrahc »

OK, this is beginning to piss me of just a bit. Why take Bosman to the World Cup and then not give the dude a chance to play? Are they worried that he might not be up to the task? Or that he's too inexperienced? But if that's the case, then why did they include him in the world cup squad in the first place?

I'd have thought that the games against Ireland and Bangladesh would have perfect opportunities for him to get some time in the middle while letting someone else (AB perhaps) get a bit of a rest.
You're traveling through another dimension,
a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

I completely agree. He can't do any worse than AB at any rate and he at least deserves a chance. Maybe he will play with the passion that's lacking from everyone except Smith.
"Boxers don't have sex before a fight, do you know why that is? They don't fancy each other."
- Jimmy Carr

no noodles
Fag

Post by no noodles »

Looking at the possible starting for today's Windies game:

Loots may open with Smith, AB goes down the order to slot in for injured Gibbs, Hall comes in for Kemp and the wicket taking Nel (our best bowler against Bangladesh - says something about the rest of our attack...) remains in the team.
I am liking this.
Lets see if they go ahead with it.
grraaargh

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

Damn damn damn. Right players - wrong order. Bosman is a terrible opener. I was really hoping that he would slot in for Gibbs, with Hall for Kemp.

That said, maybe this chance will see him hit the straps for a bit and wallop the Windies out of Grenada.
They float. They always flooaaatttt ....

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

Did you just say "Hit his straps"? I really would advise that you stop listening to so much 70's cricket commentary. :\

That said I agree with Steve. I would much rather see Bosman open and De Villiers come in to hopefully hold together the middle order.
"Boxers don't have sex before a fight, do you know why that is? They don't fancy each other."
- Jimmy Carr

Tenacious B
I Fought The Gay & The Gay Won

Post by Tenacious B »

i recall the last time alex said "wield the willow" i actually vomited in my mouth a little bit.

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

70's commentary ... sheesh. "The sound of leather on willow"; and "catches win matches" are perfectly acceptable. On the same level as "threading the field" and "lacing that through a packed offside field" and "opening his shoulders" and "pouching a catch" and ...

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

.Matt wrote:i recall the last time alex said "wield the willow" i actually vomited in my mouth a little bit.
As I recall, the only reason you vomited was from the massive amounts of booze I'd made you drink before hand. And you wielded my willow remarkably well, despite being blind drunk, naked and covered in vomit.

McStew
Fag

Post by McStew »

Flanelled fools. I agree. I think that our hacking monkeys will have the score for star wars accurately penned before AB has penned himself as "relaible" in my mind. I know reliability is not all, but do feel that any competent SA batsman would have benefitted a whole lot more from all the extra chances AB has had.

He (AB) is freakin talented and great, but give Loots a hundred chances and he may be pretty good too. C'mon Bosman! Tsihulle kak!
Come together to unite!

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch »

It looks like they've dropped Langeveld and Kemp :

South Africa team
GC Smith, AB de Villiers, JH Kallis, HH Gibbs, AG Prince, LL Bosman, MV Boucher, SM Pollock, AJ Hall, A Nel, M Ntini

Batting order is soon to be seen! I feel a little sorry for Langeveld - he's bowled better than Pollock and Ntini. Is he injured?
'His most famous blunder was when he corrected student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" as "potatoe" at an elementary school spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey, on June 15, 1992.[9]' - Wikipedia on Dan Quayle

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

Why!!!! Oh god ... why!!!!! :rain:

McStew
Fag

Post by McStew »

Mmm. Words Benedict.
Come together to unite!

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

So they picked Bosman but wouldn't let him bat. Why? I mean sending in pollock with four balls to go was the ultimate insult. One would have thought he should at least have been allowed to bat then.
- Jimmy Carr

tetrahc
Penis Fancier

Post by tetrahc »

:huh:
You're traveling through another dimension,
a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch »

I think Pollock was almost sent in as a runner - with those loping strides of his I reckon he's the quickest we have for a three ball burst.

Having said that it would have been a great chance for Bosman to get a feel for the World Cup atmosphere. It's not an issue though as we will most likely stick with that line-up through to the semi's so he will get more opportunities.

My worry is still our opening bowlers - in the past one being off form was fine due to the brilliance of the other, now with both off form it's an issue. If we were to be very fair Ntini should be dropped for Langeveld. However Ntini has that 5/15 spell potential which I'm hoping is around the corner.
'His most famous blunder was when he corrected student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" as "potatoe" at an elementary school spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey, on June 15, 1992.[9]' - Wikipedia on Dan Quayle

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

Agreed. The bowling issue is the biggest one for me. We can't drop Hall again, Nel is showing form, Pollock is a great all rounder, Ntini is a rythym bowler, who will only get better with game time, and Kallis is a match winning all rounder. Yet we need to play Charl. We must ... he is phenominal in the West Indies, and will play a pivotal role. Besides which - he's in my fantasy team, and I need the points ...

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

I think Hall and Langeveld being dropped was more a case of resting them through niggling injuries rather than anything else. That was certainly the case for Hall and I am sure it will prove with Langeveld. He has been so valuable there is no way one performance from Nel would see charl replaced otherwise. Also at 348 with four balls to go i think they could have seen fit to put Bosman in.
- Jimmy Carr

Biskit
Penis Fancier

Post by Biskit »

couldn't putting bosman in for the last four balls have been as insulting as putting pollock in??? "here we go, bosman, there's 4 balls left, not much is going to change the game no matter what you do - so go in and try and give gibbs the strike because he's doing so well..."

if there was a couple of overs left, then yes, give him a bat. but for the last 4 balls, if they had put him in, it's like saying that's all he's worth... the last 4 balls...
What would .Matt do?

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

And now he's not even worth that. First they bumped him below Boucher and then Pollock in the batting order basically suggesting he can't even run well enough to get the last few runs.
- Jimmy Carr

Biskit
Penis Fancier

Post by Biskit »

i totally agree with you - i think they should have played him... i'm just trying to figure out what they were thinking.

SA needed to win this one, maybe the were unsure of bosman because he hasn't been played yet (which is entirely their fault)
What would .Matt do?

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

There are only 11 players in a side.

I feel really bad for Bosman, and I think he's had a raw deal - but we have played our nearly best 11 every time. In this last game, they followed the order, except for Boucher - which was handy as he smacked the third fastest 50. Sending him (Loots) in to face the last 4 balls, off strike would have accomplised exactly as much as sending Pollock in did. He had the atmosphere enough while on the field, he was involved in numerous run out attempts.

Whether he was sent in, or not is almost irrevelent. 4 balls people ... who really cares?

If his entire world cup campaign rests on this one innings, then that is the saddest of all - imagine saying to your kids ... "Well, I was in the world cup!" "Wow, daddy! How many balls did you face?" "Well, none actually, I was last man in to partner Gibbs when we beat the hosts in 2007 ..." That's sadder than: "Well, I didn't get a chance to bat; but we were electric in the field ..."

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

It may not matter to you, but it will matter hugely to Bosman. Bosman was above both Boucher and pollock in the order, as was Prince. Dropping Prince down the order at that stage is a good call because of the nature of batsman he is. If it matters so little then why not send in Bosman? Shuffling the order specifically to deny a batsman time in the middle, whether it's four balls or forty overs is cruel. Guranteed, if asked, Bosman say he would have loved to go out there for those four balls. The bizarre scenario you paint wherein he talks to his kid, only makes my point more clearly. The way you write it, you'd think that Bosman had a choice between facing four balls or being electric in the field.
Try this: "Wow, daddy! How many balls did you face?" "Well, none actually, I was last man in to partner Gibbs when we beat the hosts in 2007 but we were electric in the field".

I think not sending in Bosman there was not only a selfish decision to deny a deserving batsman a chance of a lifetime but also revelas exactly what the captain and selectors think of him and he doesn't deserve that.
- Jimmy Carr

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

Well, I see mountains and molehills. I don't see any malice on the part of the selectors, captain or coach.

But then maybe I lack the clarity of vision to see a well constructed conspiracy when it appears. The poor vision goes with my hairy palms ...

Mitch
Penis Fancier

Post by Mitch »

Make the call when SA are 140/4 with 20 overs to spare. If Bosman is upset over not being at the non-striker's end for 4 balls then he doesn't deserve to ever play for sa.

What is it with everyone? Just enjoy the cricket, analyse the teams and results and games - dispense with this blame laying.

Be passionate in support, be excited and happy when we win, and dissapointed when we lose but leave it at that.

With the attitudes of fans and media in this country we don't deserve to win anything ever - just like the English.

I was in Australia when they lost the Tri-series to England and series in NZ. There was not an ounce of blame dished out by the fans. Pat Buchanan got a bit of stick, but that had been going on for a while.

They have the attitude : If we lose, it's a temporary thing and we'll get back up there. Our attitude is if we lose fire the lot of them and lose all learnings from the experience.

Paelleon
Penis Fancier

Post by Paelleon »

What he said.

Rebel Pope
Cock Throttler

Post by Rebel Pope »

I think you guys are missing my point. Walking out onto that field to bat, even if it was just for four balls, would have ranked the day amongst Bosman's greatest memories. The fact that the team chose to deny him that for no real reason at all indicates that someone, either the captain or selectors, is either uncaring, or unaware of how much a wprldcup debut means to a person. (i believe either of you would be lying if you said that if faced with a similar scenario Graeme Smith turns to you and says go on have a bat, you would say, "no thanks it's just 4 balls i don't care). I don't believe Bosman would be upset, i just believe it's a courtesy that could have been paid him that wasn't and I think that speaks louder than any words on the team dynamic. I am delighted we won, I am also not the kind of person who withdraws support for a team for small reasons, this isn't about blame laying or saying that the team is picked wrong etc it's about saying that the team could have made someone's day and instead opted to send in Pollock for the umpteenth time. Take it as you will, but i think that's a pretty shitty thing to do to a player who probably sat in the change room eagerly all day looking forward to his chance to run down the pavillion steps and onto the field in front of 15 000 people for his country.
- Jimmy Carr